Mailing list volume

Donnie Roos dr at kaneda.demon.nl
Sun Jan 21 03:53:32 PST 2001

At 04:23 PM 1/20/01 -0500, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

>> Why do people feel the need to post off-topic posts to lfs-discuss

>Why not? It's a 'community' and a list is a nice place to just rant away and
>discuss things you want. It's hard to do that in private mail (you want to
>private msg. 300 people? May as well have a dedicated list for it).
>
>And with LFS we all have the same interest in at least one thing (LFS) so
>it's natural to talk to those same people about things.

I do not mind an off-topic post. I do mind when it goes on and on and on
and every reply contains a complete history of what was previously said.

And lfs-discuss is intended for discussion about the book. An off-topic
post with a few replies I can manage. When two threads spawn this much mail
it obscures the "important" mails.

hmmm, I just read another message.
"But most people subscribe/have subscribed to lfs-discuss
assuming/thinking/hoping (to happen soon) it was only used for stuff
directly related to the lfs-book."

Uhmm, when you changed the list setup I clearly remember you saying
that lfs-discuss was for book-related stuff and lfs-apps for everything
else. Do I have some serious memory-error here?

Ah well, It has happened. We will see what happens in the future.

Donnie Roos

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org