-march=xxx

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Tue Jan 23 23:56:28 PST 2001

On Wednesday 24 January 2001 12:28 am, you wrote:
> Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> > If I'm not mistaken, a k6 will run i686 code.  K5 is i586.
>
> Isn't a K5 a 486 clone? A K6 is definitly a i586 clone.

Actually, the k5 was AMD's 5th generation solution and is
pin-compatible with the pentium--i586.

The k6 was AMD's first 6th generation cpu, incorporating
ppro/pII architecture and is i686.  However, gcc has the
-march=k6 option which will schedule the code better for
k6 family of cpus rather than for intels--even though
they are binary compatible with pII.  (I assume you understand
how this is possible.)

(oh, and I double checked on their web site to make sure)

Nick

--
Nobody will ever need more than 640 kB RAM.
                 -- Bill Gates, 1983

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org