mounting / ro permanently

Rudolf Floers r.floers at web.de
Wed Jan 24 12:47:51 PST 2001

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 07:04:28PM +0100, Erika Pacholleck wrote:

> Instead of having in fstab : /proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> this change should work too: /dev/hda5 /proc proc defaults 0 0
> So it must be possible to mount hda5 rw with /proc on it.
> ----- Question
> Any remarks against this ?

yes. proc is a filesystem, independent of the root filesystem's
mount flags.

> I am using the devfs with daemon and currently begin with:
> mount --bind /dev /dev-state
> mount -t devfs none /dev
--snip--

i have not tried devfs yet, but its name is dev-filesystem and so
it should behave like proc.

to make it clear,... if your root partition is /dev/sda4 and you
mount it ro, you can still mount other filesystems (such as sda1, proc
and -hopefully- devfs and) read-write.

hth,
rudolf

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org