devfs && stability

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jan 25 00:44:06 PST 2001

On Thursday 25 January 2001 07:44, you wrote:
> Is anybody out there using devfs on a production system?  I am considering
> working with it to simplify configuration things.  It seems like a great
> idea - but I am not sure it is mature enough for production use (it is
> marked experimental in the kernel source).

I'm using it only under my experimental setup, but I've had no problems with
it. Whenever I next reinstall my primary setup, I'm definitely including
devfs.

If you do use it, try to avoid having to use devfsd - the compatibility
daemon. Devfs does a great job of keeping the /dev directory tidy, but devfsd
undoes that by filling it with old style device names linking to the new.
Using a completely source-built system like LFS, you shouldn't need it.

Simon.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org