[OT] RE: Open and closed source...

Scott Alfter salfter at salfter.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 25 09:23:49 PST 2001

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 09:50:23PM +1300, Simon Geard wrote:
> On Thursday 25 January 2001 05:20, you wrote:
> > > hiding menus, <snip>
> >
> > If that isn't one of the most irritating and annoying 'features' i've ever
> > seen, I don't know what is...
>
> Ditto for recent windows versions - W2K, and presumably Me (never used the
> latter).

I just put WinME on a box a few days ago (hey, I need pcAnywhere for my job,
so don't flame me :-) ), and while it borrows heavily from Win2K in its
interface design, "personalized menus" were thankfully left out.

(The biggest annoyance I've found with it so far is that, out of the box,
there's no way to get to DOS mode.  It's not in the shutdown options and
it's not in the F8-at-boot-time menu.  Given that DOS mode is somewhat like
single-user mode under Linux, how are you supposed to run programs like
Ghost without it?  It's my understanding that there's supposed to be a hack
to add it back in...I must track that down sometime.)

  _/_
 / v \
(IIGS(  Scott Alfter (salfter at salfter.dyndns.org)
 \_^_/  http://salfter.dyndns.org