need help compiling ispell (spell-checker)

Wolfgang Arendt Wolfgang.Arendt at gmx.de
Sat Jan 27 04:45:35 PST 2001

Ladies and gentlemen,

trying to compile ispell I got the following errror:

-----------<snip>------------------------------
term.c: At top level:
term.c:142: storage size of `sbuf' isn't known
term.c:143: storage size of `osbuf' isn't known
make: *** [term.o] Error 1
-----------<snip>------------------------------

(I had simply unpacked the package and changed to
the top-level directory of the unpacked tarball)

Copying local.h.samp to local.h and
appending the following to the "local.h"

-----------<snip>------------------------------
#ifndef USG
#define USG
#endif
-----------<snip>------------------------------

fixes this. Now the error looks like this:

-----------<snip>------------------------------
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ltermcap
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [ispell] Error 1
-----------<snip>------------------------------

I appended the following:

-----------<snip>------------------------------
#ifndef TERMLIB
#define TERMLIB "-lncurses"
#endif
-----------<snip>------------------------------

and the error changed to:

-----------<snip>------------------------------
ijoin.c:136: macro `strcmp' used without args
make: *** [ijoin.o] Error 1
-----------<snip>------------------------------

Now, I have to give up. There is one line in the
file "ijoin.c" which reads:

-----------<snip>------------------------------
extern int      strcmp ();
-----------<snip>------------------------------

and which I tried to comment out. With this line
commented out, the compile goes on for a while but
then it fails finding language-files.

I tried to give it some ".aff" and the like files
but this brougth my system to a complete halt
exhausting memory.

Since I do not know, wheter I broke everything by
commenting out that line I do not know, if I should
proceed.

So I am asking anybody, who knows more than me about
compiling and probably C.

Did anybody succeed in building this program on
an LFS-System? Please let me know, how you dit it.

Greetings,

Wolfgang

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org