stupid kernels

Julio Recalde julio at paradis.dk
Wed Jan 31 06:53:24 PST 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 06:26:19 -0800
"Casey Bralla" <Vorlon at dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

> Whenever I've re-compiled a distro's kernel, I've always worried that
> I would muck something up (like by leaving out a critical module or
> something), and then not be able to get back to where I was.  (In
> other words, I want to change a whole lot of stuff at once, without
> understanding what each individual change does.)   How does the
> configuration file get set originally?   Is it typically set by the
> distro company, or does it somehow magically "know" what the kernel
> looks like?  I always wanted to save the original configuration, then
> I could always go back to it and recompile later if necessary.
>
> Could someone point me toward a tutorial on how these config files
> work?

If you look in /usr/src/linux after having already compiled the kernel
once or at least run [menu|x]config right to the end and having it
configured the tree correctly you would find a ".config" file. If you open
it with a simple text editor you'd see a list of the features put together
in different [] sections, like an .ini file (dah, dirty example), if a
feature has a "y" after the "=" it will be compiled into the kernel, if it
has a "m" it will be compiled as as module.
You can easily backup a .config file before any kind of kernel compile
experiment and just copy it back if you want to compile a
same-features-as-usual one.

--
		Julio J. Recalde L.

Lejre, 31/01/01

"...y lo que no duele no sirve." -JR
"...me gusta abrir los ojos y estar vivo, tener que vermelas con la
resaca."-FP
"God blesses America, but He lives in Europe."-JR
"...cuidado con las mezclas, y a no desanimar!"-FP
"Si la vida te da la espalda..., tocale el culo!"
"Hasta lo bueno en exceso puede ser pejudicial"-Propaganda de Pilsen

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org