HOWTO: install info pages?

Björn Lindberg d95-bli at nada.kth.se
Wed Jan 31 07:23:07 PST 2001

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, John E Garrott Sr wrote:

> Jan Stifter wrote:

> > btw: do you like info-pages? i liked man-pages much more... everything
> > on one page... but this is maybe, because i am a dummy and don't no
> > how to work with info-pages.

<snip>

> Answer to the second part:
> NO!  I don't like them.  If you have to use them
> get tkinfo.  (I've lost the URL, but a search
> on freshmeat should turn it up).  Yes, it requires
> you to have TCL/TK installed, but it does make
> info pages almost useful.

I don't like them either! I don't know if you saw it, but I posted
about the manpages in the man-pages package on lfs-discuss some days
ago.

Many of the GNU utilities these days (like cp, rm, etc, etc) come
with really bad manpages. They are one third of their original size,
and instead contains references to the corresponding info-page. There
is however updated manpages for these programs in the man-pages
package. So, if you install man-pages first (à la 2.4.4), make sure
you restore thos pages the last thing you do. ie replace the
man-pages that come with the packages with the man-pages package
ones.

Björn

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org