need help compiling ispell

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 31 12:53:03 PST 2001

> You will remember: when trying to compile ispell, I failed, getting this
>
> error:
> > -----------<snip>------------------------------_
> > ijoin.c:136: macro `strcmp' used without args
> > make: *** [ijoin.o] Error 1
> > -----------<snip>------------------------------_
>
> My problem is, that I am not experienced enough, to figure out, what to
> make out of this information but I am sure, there are lots of
> experienced programmers subscribed to this list.
>
> Can anyone tell me, how to find out, what SuSE makes different from
> RedHat, or where to look for the definition of "strcmp" or how I can get
> around this?

the difference is Glibc related. In old C standards you had to define strcmp
in your program. Newer C standards don't allow that anymore.

The easy solution: edit ijoin.c, go to line 136 and remove the entire line.
Problem solved, you can compile it now.

btw: I may be wrong about the C standard changes. I'm merely conveying what I
have read and been told by more experienced programmers. So if I'm wrong,
blaim my sources ;)

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org