An ALSA nightmare....

Dieter Scholz dieter_scholz at gmx.de
Thu Aug 1 23:17:42 PDT 2002

Hello,

I know, how hard it is to configure alsa with devfs, because the
documentation on this topic is completly outdated.

But someone on this list helped me to get things going.

1.) the default file name of the settings file is:

asound.state not asound.conf

2.) I use autoloading of kernel modules. This is my modules.conf:

alias /dev/snd* snd-emu10k1
alias char-major-116 snd
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-6 off
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
post-install snd-emu10k1 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore

You must change the sound card module according to your configuration.

3.) This is my devfsd.conf:

[...]
# Enable module autoloading. You may comment this out if you don't use
# autoloading
LOOKUP    .*    MODLOAD
[...]
REGISTER         ^snd/.*          PERMISSIONS root.root 666
REGISTER         ^sound/.*        PERMISSIONS root.root 666
LOOKUP            sound/audio     EXECUTE mknod -m 666 sound/audio c 14 4
LOOKUP            sound/dsp       EXECUTE mknod -m 666 sound/dsp c 14 3
LOOKUP            dsp             EXECUTE mknod -m 666 dsp c 14 3
REGISTER          sound/mixer     MKOLDCOMPAT

That's it. Make sure, you unmute the relevant mixer channels and put up the
volume.

Hope this helps.

Dieter

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org