Windows emulator

Luis Pedro Pinto luis.pinto at ent.efacec.pt
Fri Aug 2 04:32:07 PDT 2002

Just two things .. nor wine or vware are windows emulators .. ;) Vmware
is a virtual machine inside your machine that is able to run other OSs
in it (not only windows but also linux), so imagine having a virtual
computer running linux inside your real linux .. ;). Calling wine a
emulator is not quite accurate, because it only provides an enviroment
for running windows binaries in linux and not the whole windows thingie
(windows kernel, blue screens of death, etc). In both cases, Vmware is
good for running office apps and others that do not require heavy
graphics processing (forget 3d graphics in this one ;).You can install
and run WindowsXP inside this Virtual Machine, and i advise you to have
at least 356 Mb of RAM and a P2 350 (yes, that's true, and it runs well
for me). Wine also runs office tools, but you need a lot of tweeking on
it's configure files ;) and is not stable as vmware. Winex is an
extension of wine and is able to run some commercial 3d games, and quite
well, although it's performance doesn't compare to running those in
windows (almost half of the frame rate) but this one is also comercial

hope this helped!!