XFree86 and Radeon

Mike Labriola mike.labriola at clarksonalumni.com
Sat Aug 3 16:11:05 PDT 2002

Ron Keller wrote:
> On Saturday 03 August 2002 02:08 pm, you wrote:
>  [snip]
>
> At this point, all I have on this machine is a basic lfs-cvs
> system plus a few libraries (zlib,libmng,libpng,lcms,etc) and
> XFree86-4.2.0  and ALSA.  I wanted to get the vid card working
> before tackling KDE.   According to what's inmy .xinitrc file, I
> presume I am using the twm window manager
>

>>what window manager are you using?  any desktop environment?
>>(gnome/kde) these can all have pretty severe effects if
>>they're not set up correctly...
>>

> What takes 20 seconds is that from the console it takes 20
> seconds from issuing the startx command until X actually starts.
>  Does this give you an idea of what's happening?
>

>>also, what part is taking 20 seconds?  does it sit on the text
>>console for 20 seconds and then flash into x?  or does it
>>flash into x, pause for 20 seconds, and then load your window
>>manager really slowly...?
>>

>>i have a dual 1.2Gghz amd athlon mp box with a radeon ddr 64
>>vivo and it doesn't take anywhere near that long to start.  in
>>fact, if i'm just using blackbox for my window manager, x
>>starts up completely almost immediately.  i believe i'm using
>>xfree-4.2 with nicelu accelerated dri...  but it was quite a
>>while ago when i installed it.
>>
>>-mike

hmm...  that definately doesn't sound right.  with the system specs you've
described, x should start right up rather quickly.  i'm not entirely sure what
the differences are between the Radeon DDR 64 VIVO and the Radeon 8500 LE, but i
can't imagine that it would be causing that severe a slow down...  does it use
the radeon.o kernel driver?

well, barring some unforseen difference between our video cards, i would say
something is not set up right.  ;-)  (i bet you knew that...)

now we just have to figure out what it is...

did you compile and install x from source or install precompiled binaries?

what's your XF86Config file look like?

-mike

|              Michael D. Labriola               |
|        mike.labriola at clarksonalumni.com        |
|          Admiralty Drive West Apt F4           |
|             Middletown, RI 02842               |
|                (401)846-4085                   |

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org