XFree86 and Radeon

Simon Comeau Martel martelsc at videotron.ca
Sat Aug 3 16:35:10 PDT 2002

On Sat, 03 Aug 2002 19:11:05 -0400
Mike Labriola <mike.labriola at clarksonalumni.com> wrote:

> Ron Keller wrote:
> > On Saturday 03 August 2002 02:08 pm, you wrote:
> >  [snip]
> >
> > At this point, all I have on this machine is a basic lfs-cvs
> > system plus a few libraries (zlib,libmng,libpng,lcms,etc) and
> > XFree86-4.2.0  and ALSA.  I wanted to get the vid card working
> > before tackling KDE.   According to what's inmy .xinitrc file, I
> > presume I am using the twm window manager
> >

> >>what window manager are you using?  any desktop environment?
> >>(gnome/kde) these can all have pretty severe effects if
> >>they're not set up correctly...
> >>

> > What takes 20 seconds is that from the console it takes 20
> > seconds from issuing the startx command until X actually starts.
> >  Does this give you an idea of what's happening?
> >

> >>also, what part is taking 20 seconds?  does it sit on the text
> >>console for 20 seconds and then flash into x?  or does it
> >>flash into x, pause for 20 seconds, and then load your window
> >>manager really slowly...?
> >>

> >>i have a dual 1.2Gghz amd athlon mp box with a radeon ddr 64
> >>vivo and it doesn't take anywhere near that long to start.  in
> >>fact, if i'm just using blackbox for my window manager, x
> >>starts up completely almost immediately.  i believe i'm using
> >>xfree-4.2 with nicelu accelerated dri...  but it was quite a
> >>while ago when i installed it.
> >>
> >>-mike
> >

> hmm...  that definately doesn't sound right.  with the system specs you've
> described, x should start right up rather quickly.  i'm not entirely sure what
> the differences are between the Radeon DDR 64 VIVO and the Radeon 8500 LE, but i
> can't imagine that it would be causing that severe a slow down...  does it use
> the radeon.o kernel driver?
>
> well, barring some unforseen difference between our video cards, i would say
> something is not set up right.  ;-)  (i bet you knew that...)
>
> now we just have to figure out what it is...
>
> did you compile and install x from source or install precompiled binaries?
>
> what's your XF86Config file look like?
>
> -mike
>
> --
> |              Michael D. Labriola               |
> |        mike.labriola at clarksonalumni.com        |
> |          Admiralty Drive West Apt F4           |
> |             Middletown, RI 02842               |
> |                (401)846-4085                   |

I had a problem like this, and didn't relly find how to resolved it but my X server start well now...

Wen I start it, I have this message: @hostname: unknow host at .  If I dont start dhcpcd before launching XFree, it take a long time to start.  But if I make my internet connexion first, it is ok. (But the message stay here...)  I dont know if that can help you ...
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org