XFree86 and Radeon

James Drabb JDrabb at cfl.rr.com
Sat Aug 3 16:53:41 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Keller" <rakeller at shaw.ca>
To: <blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 03, 2002 12:29 PM
Subject: Re: XFree86 and Radeon

> On Saturday 03 August 2002 02:08 pm, you wrote:
>  [snip]
>
> At this point, all I have on this machine is a basic lfs-cvs
> system plus a few libraries (zlib,libmng,libpng,lcms,etc) and
> XFree86-4.2.0  and ALSA.  I wanted to get the vid card working
> before tackling KDE.   According to what's inmy .xinitrc file, I
> presume I am using the twm window manager
>
> > what window manager are you using?  any desktop environment?
> > (gnome/kde) these can all have pretty severe effects if
> > they're not set up correctly...
> >

> What takes 20 seconds is that from the console it takes 20
> seconds from issuing the startx command until X actually starts.
>  Does this give you an idea of what's happening?
>

> > also, what part is taking 20 seconds?  does it sit on the text
> > console for 20 seconds and then flash into x?  or does it
> > flash into x, pause for 20 seconds, and then load your window
> > manager really slowly...?
> >

> > i have a dual 1.2Gghz amd athlon mp box with a radeon ddr 64
> > vivo and it doesn't take anywhere near that long to start.  in
> > fact, if i'm just using blackbox for my window manager, x
> > starts up completely almost immediately.  i believe i'm using
> > xfree-4.2 with nicelu accelerated dri...  but it was quite a
> > while ago when i installed it.
> >
> > -mike
> --

I wonder if it can be something with the driver.  I have an NVidia card
and use the binary nvidia drivers from their site.  It takes 20 to 25
seconds
to startx.  When I do startx, I get a black screen and 20 seconds later or
so
X is up.  If I switch from using the 3d accelerated driver to the regular
nv driver from XFree, then X starts in 2 or 3 seconds.

Jim Drabb
Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away
James Drabb JR
Programmer Analyst
JDrabb at cfl.rr.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org