XFree86 and Radeon

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sun Aug 4 07:39:58 PDT 2002

Simon Comeau Martel wrote:

>>One way or another, there's a problem with your hostname. Have a look at
>>those files I mentioned (/etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/) and make sure
>>/bin/hostname is the one from net-tools (hostname -f should give a
>>valid FQDN).
>>

>/etc/hosts ==> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
>/etc/sysconfig/network ==> HOSTNAME=Celeron
>/bin/hostname -f ==> hostname: Unknow host

There are a couple of problems here.  You need to make sure
/etc/rc.d/init.d/localnet runs at startup.  That file sets the hostname
from /etc/sysconfig/network.  BTW, I'd suggest changing the name to be
all lower case.

Second, you need to have an entry in /etc/hosts that ties the hostname
to your IP address.  For example:

192.168.0.1  celeron.domain.net celeron

Note: hostname -f picks up the FQDN from /etc/hosts so you need both the
FQDN and the local (short) name in the hosts file.

  -- Bruce

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org