XFree86 and Radeon

Mike Labriola mike.labriola at clarksonalumni.com
Sun Aug 4 08:45:06 PDT 2002

Simon Comeau Martel wrote:
>>>/etc/hosts ==> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
>>>/etc/sysconfig/network ==> HOSTNAME=Celeron
>>>/bin/hostname -f ==> hostname: Unknow host
>>
>>Second, you need to have an entry in /etc/hosts that ties the hostname
>>to your IP address.  For example:
>>
>>192.168.0.1  celeron.domain.net celeron
>>
>>Note: hostname -f picks up the FQDN from /etc/hosts so you need both the
>>FQDN and the local (short) name in the hosts file.
>>
>>  -- Bruce
>>
>>--
>>

> I noticed that when I run /bin/hostname I get ==> Celeron
> But if I add -f (/bin/hostname -f) I get the previous error message ==> hostname: Unknow host
>
> I tried to add a line in /etc/hosts but that didnt change anyting ==> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain Celeron
>
> Sory for my stupidity, but I have a big problem to understand how all this work...

if you don't have a network connection, and thus an ip, on this machine you can
just make one up to get this to work.  make sure that your ethernet card is
supported by the kernel and then do this:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 137.0.0.1 up

that is an ip address that i pulled out of my ass...  you can just make one up
and use it as long as you're not connected to the internet.

now just put this in /etc/hosts:

137.0.0.1  celeron.whatever.you.want  celeron

now, as far as capital letters go...  they are bad, satanic things in
hostnames...  it is very very troublesome to have a captial letter in a
hostname.  this being said, if you're not actually connected to the internet, it
doesn't matter at all and you can name it whatever you want.

-mike

|              Michael D. Labriola               |
|        mike.labriola at clarksonalumni.com        |
|          Admiralty Drive West Apt F4           |
|             Middletown, RI 02842               |
|                (401)846-4085                   |

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org