XFree86 and Radeon

Ron Keller rakeller at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 4 13:39:23 PDT 2002

There are 2 things that concern me about the DRI instructions in
the book.  I've never done anything with CVS before, and the
idea of connecting, as root, to anything outside my network is
foreign to me.  There may be some wiggle room on this point.
The other bit of confusion surrounds the sym link from xc to
XFree40.  Maybe I missed something, but why does it have to be
linked?  Why can't I just modify the host.def file in
xc/config/cf to include the dri entries?

BTW, I got hold of the binaries for XFree86-4.2.0 and installed
them.  After running XFree86 -configure,  X starts immediately.
But when I built XFree86-4.2.0 from source, X took a full 20
minutes to start.  Obviously there was some saort of
conmfiguaration problem.  Is it possible that launching X could
be slow because DRI hadn,t been built yet?  Sorry if this sounds
like a stupid question.

My suggestion of icluding, from start to finish, an explanation
of how to get an ATI Radeon card to work may be beyond the scope
of the BLFS project.

RK

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org