emu10k1 insmod error

Declan Moriarty tech.genius at ntlworld.ie
Mon Aug 5 03:47:27 PDT 2002

Was it Druisgod who wrote on Monday 05 August 2002 02:46:
> Does anyone know how to fix this? How do we change these params in linux?
> Never been faced with this to date!

There are module dependencies, ie module b needs module a loaded first.
You're better off using modprobe instead of insmod usually, as it tries to be
more automagic about it and load them for you. Try this
# depmod -a
# grep emu101k.  /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/modules.dep
This will tell you dependencies.

Lspci-v for pcibus  or isapnp & pnpdump for isa bus tell you what option sets
the card is configured for. I load my normally comatose opti card this way
 insmod soundcore #basic sound support
 insmod sound	# basic sound support
 insmod ad1848	#wss support
 insmod uart401	# separate uart - not always needed
 insmod opl3	# separate synth - not always needed
 isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf # card wakes up at this point, and takes it's options
 modprobe mad16 # doesn't need options now. Otherwise it bellyaches about
them.

On another machine, I get away with the last line only;  this line
# modprobe sb

loads soundcore, sound, ad1848, opl3, and sb.o via modules dep and
modules.conf

> ##Begin
>
> root:/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1# insmod emu10k1
> Using /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o
> /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: init_module: No
> such device Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
> parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

Read this as "Something's wrong, (Expletive deleted)'
--
	Regards,

	Declan Moriarty

Applied Researches - Ireland's Foremost Electronic Hardware Genius

	A Slightly Serious(TM) Company

Experience is like a comb,
that Life gives you - AFTER all your hair has fallen out!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org