alsa-driver SBlive!

James Drabb JDrabb at cfl.rr.com
Mon Aug 5 17:55:48 PDT 2002

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002 18:40:18 +0000
Richard Jenniss <RichardJenniss at TelusPlanet.net> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I am having difficulty getting XMMS to work with alsa.
>
> I have installed
> alsa-driver
> alsa-libs
> alsa-utils
>

> I have loaded the modual, and have started the alsa deamon script from
> /etc/rc.d/ subdirectory
>
> # ls /proc/asound (results in)
> card0  cards  dev  devices  hwdep  oss  pcm  seq  timers  version
>
> # cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 0.9.0rc2.
> Compiled on Aug  5 2002 for kernel 2.4.19 with versioned symbols.
>
> # ls /proc/asound/card0
> ac97#0      fx8010_acode  fx8010_tram_addr  midi0  pcm1c
> ac97#0regs  fx8010_code   fx8010_tram_data  pcm0c  pcm2c
> emu10k1     fx8010_gpr    id                pcm0p  pcm3
>

> I am not sure what other information to post, but I am much tired, and in
> need of rest. If anyone can give me some hints, suggestions, or
> recomendations they all would be gladly appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> one d00d /w out sound ):
> --

Do you get sound at all from alsa?  By default alsa sets the sound
volume to 0(zero).  So, you need to run alsamixer and turn every thing
up.  Once you turn the volumes up run: alsactl store
Then in your alsa startup script after you load your alsa modules you need
to run: alsactl restore.  There are also two versions of the alsa plugin
for xmms.  One is for alsa 0.5 and the other is for alsa 0.9, make sure
you have the one for alsa 0.9.  Also, in xmms if you bring up the settings
you need to choose the output plugin.  It defaults to oss.  You can
use oss with alsa, you just need to load the alsa-oss modules.

To load the alsa-oss modules do:
modprobe snd-pcm-oss &> /dev/null
modprobe snd-mixer-oss &> /dev/null
modprobe snd-seq-oss &> /dev/null