Search Engine

James Drabb JDrabb at cfl.rr.com
Tue Aug 6 16:44:40 PDT 2002

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 17:22:33 -0400

> On August 6, 2002 05:00 pm, you wrote:
> Can anybody view a part of your site without being logged in (say can I
> just go and browse public areas)? If so, you could use aspseek nicely.
> Just tell it what URL to start from and it'll spider whatever it's allowed
> to. You can even tell aspseek to login to certain sites by giving it a
> username and password to use (works best with HTTP server based
> authentication, not custom login modules that you create yourself).
>
> Btw, using aspseek recommends a database server such as MySQL or Postgres.
>
> It'll improve performance greatly.
>
> --
> Gerard Beekmans
> www.linuxfromscratch.org

> --

Thanks again Gerard.  I will look into aspseek.  The site is totally
controlled by Siteminder and only available under https and when you
login through SiteMinder.  I did find a little perl util called miniSearch.
It seams to work well.  However, being a cgi, I wonder how performance
will suffer?  The company intranet has up to 110,000 users and can get
very busy.  I guess the low-latency/preempt patch will help there though.

Jim Drabb
James Drabb JR - Programmer Analyst - Orlando, FL - JDrabb at cfl.rr.com
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org