smbd doesn't start

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 6 17:33:44 PDT 2002

On Tue, 06, Aug, 2002 at 06:43:10PM +0200, Sebastian Meisel spoke thus..
> For some reason i can't find, but liked to know smbd doesn't start, giving
> no error message.
> I (try to) run it $> /usr/local/sbin/smbd

I had this problem earlier on this evening (and it necessitated a visit
to my parent's home where the server was!)

The problem in the end came down to the fact that samba was expecting to
place its pid files in /var/run/samba and that on bootup, the cleanfs
script was doing a rm -fr /var/run/* wiping out the directory.

Now, instead of creating the directory or giving a proper error message
/ code, smbd and nmbd just claimed to have started OK and failed to give
any diagnostics at all!  (This took some time to work out).

Therefore, check where smbd and nmbd are expecting their pid files and
if you need to mkdir /var/run/samba (or whatever) and if this works,
consider adding it to your cleanfs script.

HTH

Mark

markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org