XFree86 and Radeon

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Tue Aug 6 19:46:23 PDT 2002

Ron Keller wrote:

>There are 2 things that concern me about the DRI instructions in
>the book.  I've never done anything with CVS before, and the
>idea of connecting, as root, to anything outside my network is
>foreign to me.  There may be some wiggle room on this point.
>The other bit of confusion surrounds the sym link from xc to
>XFree40.  Maybe I missed something, but why does it have to be
>linked?  Why can't I just modify the host.def file in
>xc/config/cf to include the dri entries?
>

>BTW, I got hold of the binaries for XFree86-4.2.0 and installed
>them.  After running XFree86 -configure,  X starts immediately.
>But when I built XFree86-4.2.0 from source, X took a full 20
>minutes to start.  Obviously there was some saort of
>conmfiguaration problem.  Is it possible that launching X could
>be slow because DRI hadn,t been built yet?  Sorry if this sounds
>like a stupid question.
>
>My suggestion of icluding, from start to finish, an explanation
>of how to get an ATI Radeon card to work may be beyond the scope
>of the BLFS project.

Taking your last point first, I don't think that a customization for a
single piece of hardware is appropriate for BLFS.  Since I don't have a
Radeon card, I can't check things out, but I would be willing to put in
some notes concerning relatively common, but difficult to configure
cards.  However, I need the detailed procedures that don't degrade the
structure of the book that does work for many.

The symbolic link was the method recommended by the DRI developers.  I
havn't experimented to see if there is a better way.

You don't have to connect to CVS as root.  Any user will do.  The cvs
checkout is really not much different from downloading something via ftp
or http.  The files are automatically placed in the destination
directory, but you are still basically just downloading files.

  -- Bruce

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org