Moving a LFS Install to Another Partition.

Didier Richard didierj.richard at wanadoo.fr
Wed Aug 7 13:23:24 PDT 2002

Snakebite a écrit:
> Well, hello all again.
>
> I figured I was getting the hang of this whole LFS thing. Now I need help
> again.
> I am trying to move my current LFS system over to a new partition and I am
> having some problems. I have run out of room on the current partition.
>
> First some info:
>
> HDA1 - NT2000
> HDA2 - Linux Swap
> HDA3 - New Partition
> SDA1 - Current LFS
> SDB1 - Current LFS/usr
>
> I booted with Tom's Boot CD. Mounted the New Partition and the Current LFS
> partitions. Then issued the following command: cd /mnt/lfs; tar cpsf - | (cd
> /mnt/newlfs; tar xpsf -). The copy was a success.
>
> I then modified the /etc/fstab file on the new partition to reflect the
> changes. Then added a section for the New Partition in the
> /boot/grub/menu.lst file.
>
> I booted off a grub rescue disk and re-ran the setup for grub. Then rebooted.
>
> Now the problem. When the SCSI drives are present the system still mounts the
> SCSI drives as the root partition. If I disconnect the SCSI drives and try to
> boot I get a kernel panic: root filesystem not mounted. So I reboot, using
> the command line from grub issue the following:
> kernel (hd0,2)/boot/lfskernel (grub finds and states it is a bzImage ...)
> root (hd0,2) hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi (grub states it is a ext2
> filesystem...)
> boot
>
> I get the same error. Am I missing something easy?
>
> Please help... :-(
>
> Snakebite

It looks like you re-installed Grub, after booting on the floppy, on the
SCSI disk. IMHO, you should re-use your floppy and setup again Grub.

 From the Grub (0.92) 'info' page :
"Note that GRUB does _not_ distinguish IDE from SCSI - it simply counts
the drive numbers from zero, regardless of their type".
"To help you find out which number is a partition you want, the GRUB
command-line options have argument completion. That means that, for
example, you only need to type `root (', followed by a <TAB>, and GRUB
will display the list of drives, partitions, or file names, so it should
be quite easy to determine the name of your target partition, even with
minimal knowledge of the syntax."

I've tried this, it works, as in :
# grub [return]
grub> root (hd[tab]
Possible disks are:  hd0 hd1 hd2 hd3
grub> root (hd0,[tab]
  Possible partitions are:
    Partition num: 0,  Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0x1b
    Partition num: 1,  Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0xb
    Partition num: 3,  Filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0x83
    Partition num: 4,  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

Boot again with your floppy and check how Grub recognises your disks.
Then issue a "setup (hd<number for your primary IDE drive>)", and copy
back config files.

BTW, also check in your BIOS the boot sequence. It is useless to update
the MBR on the primary IDE disk if your BIOS launches the bootloader
that's stored on your SCSI drive.

Didier

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org