modprobe?

Didier Richard didierj.richard at wanadoo.fr
Wed Aug 7 23:03:42 PDT 2002

adam bozanich a écrit:
> Hi everybody.  I think I have a simple problem, but I don't know how to fix
> it.  when I start up, I get these messages:
>
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10-135
>
> (and later)
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifup-eth0: modprobe: command not found
>

>   Any help on this would be nice.  I'm a newbie, so everything counts.

hi

 From the kernel Documentation / Configure.help :
Enhanced Real Time Clock Support
CONFIG_RTC
   If you say Y here and create a character special file /dev/rtc with
   major number 10 and minor number 135 using mknod ("man mknod"), you
   will get access to the real time clock (or hardware clock) built
   into your computer.

It means your kernel lacks the "real time clock" support.
Check your kernel config and see if this option is activated in the
"character devices" section.
If it's not you should compile a new kernel with this option.I once
compiled this as a module, to notice that the module "rtc" was always
loaded. So now it's just compiled-in.
If it is activated in your kernel, then you probably miss the "/dev/rtc"
file => "cd /dev ; mknod c rtc 10 135"
If you have this /dev/rtc file, try adding "alias char-major-10-135 off"
in your /etc/modules.conf config file.

 From the second line, you seem to have a "$PATH" problem.
Type a "type -path modprobe" at the Bash prompt and note the full path
for modprobe (usually /sbin/modprobe), then check this directory is
searched in the PATH for your script.

Didier

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org