Software advice?

Didier Richard didierj.richard at francetelecom.com
Thu Aug 8 09:37:12 PDT 2002

Richard Jenniss a écrit:
> On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:14:11 -0400
> Gerard Beekmans <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
>>On August 8, 2002 04:37 am, Richard Jenniss wrote:
>>
> The only thing I have left to work towards is power management!

There is to my opinion a lot to be done in this area for the whole Linux
world.
As far as I know :
- there are DPMS features coded into X-Window. If your monitor supports
DPMS, you can specify "blank / suspend / sleep" modes and durations.
To check, open a shell and run "xset q". This will will [q]uery the
various modes your X-Window display currently runs with (look for
'DPMS'). You can adjust these parameters manually with "xset" options
(run "xset --help" to see them). It is also possible to pass them to the
X 'server' on startup, check "XFree86 --help". However, you will have to
check how your X-server is started (usually through /etc/X11/xdm/Xserver
if you bootup with xdm)
- For the disks spinning down, you will need a supplemental 'user-mode'
software with a daemon called "apmd". However, this also needs
configuration in your kernel config. If you are new to Linux, it can be
tricky to adjust / compile / boot your kernel. You should read docs
before attempting this (see http://www.tldp.org/ and the 'kernel HowTo'
at least).
Maybe the "kernel-mode" APM is already configured in your current
kernel. If it is and works OK, then your computer (if your motherboard
supports it) will (most often) power-off when you do a "shutdown" or
"init 0", after the last 'Power Down' message.
- For the 'ACPI/S3' "save-to-disk and sleep", this is still
work-in-progress. There have been patches for this (one famous is known
as "swsup" for software suspend), but this would require even more
kernel work.

Didier

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org