X11 configuration

adam bozanich adambozanich at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 8 21:00:07 PDT 2002

Declan Moriarty wrote:

>> Thank you very much.  That helped a lot.  I can now get to the point
>> where the test screen comes up correctly (with the X for the mouse and
>> the
>> lattice background), however the screen gets stuck there.  The only way
>> to get out is ctrl+alt+F2, but then when i attempt to reboot my system, i
>> get
>> back to the test screen and it freezes there.  I don't want to have to
>> keep turning off my system with out properly shutting down, what ells
>> could i do?
>
> check /var/log/XFree86.0.log.  I'll bet some video module isn't loading
> correctly or is messing things up for you. Try not loading that, and check
> you have a working screen, and working video mode.

Thanks again for the tip.  I looked at XFree86.0.log, and i got a few
warnings. It turns out that I am in run level 3, thanks for that help, it
saves A LOT of time.  I know that my screen and video card works, I am on
redhat right now on the same machine.  I created /dev/apm_bios, and I am
sure that APM is compiled into the kernel.  Are ther any suggestions out
there?

(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)

(WW) System lacks support for changing MTRRs

(WW) I810(0): xf86AllocateGARTMemory: allocation of 1024 pages failed
        (Cannot allocate memory)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org