X11 configuration

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Fri Aug 9 02:51:38 PDT 2002

[snip]

Was it adam bozanich who wrote on Friday 09 August 2002 05:00:

> Thanks again for the tip.  I looked at XFree86.0.log, and i got a few
> warnings. It turns out that I am in run level 3, thanks for that help, it
> saves A LOT of time.  I know that my screen and video card works, I am on
> redhat right now on the same machine.  I created /dev/apm_bios, and I am
> sure that APM is compiled into the kernel.  Are ther any suggestions out
> there?
>
> (WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)

Mknod makes these things, and /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt gives
the numbers. Allow 30 minutes for the read :-/.

> (WW) System lacks support for changing MTRRs

Ignore it, unless you've an intel p2 or higher. You've a K6? I get that too.

> (WW) I810(0): xf86AllocateGARTMemory: allocation of 1024 pages failed
>         (Cannot allocate memory)
I'd go after this one. What size pages is it using? It's the sort of thing I
don't like the sound of, pointing to an address conflict, mebbe wrong slot
being adressed or something like that. Give us a bit of context here.
--
	Regards,

	Declan Moriarty

Applied Researches - Ireland's Foremost Electronic Hardware Genius

	A Slightly Serious(TM) Company

Experience is like a comb,
that Life gives you - AFTER all your hair has fallen out!
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org