Halting the computer

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Fri Aug 9 04:07:28 PDT 2002

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On August 8, 2002 12:48 pm, Simon Comeau Martel wrote:
> > Whit Redhat, wen I used the "halt -p" command, the computer turned
> > of totally.  But with LFS, every programs are killed and it end with
> > a message like "System halted" (or someting like that...)  What have
> > I to change for a total shutdown?
>
> Enable APM (advanced power management) in the kernel. This feature
> will also enable the ability to power off the computer by the kernel.

You might also need to enable an option under APM to the effect of "use
real mode BIOS calls to poweroff", depending on your machine. If simply
enabling APM doesn't work, you may also need to enable that option.

Oh, and if you choose APM as a module rather than compiled into the
kernel, you need to make sure it gets loaded - I've added a "modprobe
apm" line to /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt, just before the call to /sbin/halt.

Simon.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org