Please guide me in alsa installation?

Seng Huat Yeoh stanleyshyeoh at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 9 06:00:32 PDT 2002

Hi,

I went through alsa's installation in the BLFS book.   However,  XMMS still
unable to detect my soundcard.   I'm using an MSI KT333-Ultra mobo with
VT8233a southbridge.

1) Before installation,  I've checked that my kernel has,
Sound:
<M> Sound card support
<M> OSS sound modules

2) I proceed to install the driver with:
./configure \
    --with-moddir=/lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/sound/ \
	--with-kernel=/usr/src/linux-2.4.19 \
	--with-sequencer=yes --with-oss=yes \
	--with-cards=via8233 &&
make &&
make install

3) Modified /etc/modules.conf and substituted <soundcard> with via8233.   I
skipped the /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsa and /etc/sysconfig/alsa scripts altogether
and ignored creating symlinks in rc.#.d directories.

4) Ran ./snddevices

5) Installing alsa-lib and alsa-utils.   Did not install alsa-oss-lib and
also-tools because I couldn't run ./configure in both of their source
directories.

6) Configure alsa by making symlinks /dev/sndstat->/proc/asound/sndstat.
Finally chmod-ed device permissions.

I basically followed the alsa installation in blfs.   Am I missing
something?   If there's anything helpful I've yet to provide,  let me know.
  I know I'm missing alot of things.

Sincerely,
Stanley Yeoh