smbd doesn't start

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 9 13:14:43 PDT 2002

On Fri, 09, Aug, 2002 at 10:20:56AM -0500, Archaic spoke thus..
> On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 12:56:26AM +0200, Oliver Brakmann wrote:
> > OTOH, you never know what obscure software packages LFS users might
> > install. Relying on the ability to just change the path to lock
> > and pid files might therefore not be the best solution.
>
> Yes, I see how the bootscript change would be the easiest. That point I
> do not argue. But I've been thinking, isn't one of the purposes of LFS
> to know where everything is, what it does, how it got there, and how to
> move it where you want? In that case, since it's just a pid file or a
> lock file (both temporary), I wouldn't want it to create a permanent
> directory.

Oh, I quite agree that creating a directory for these files is plain
*stupid* but on the other hand we probably shouldn't be deleting
directories which may have been deliberatly created anyways.

Mark

"Don't you hate those Claims Direct adverts?
 'I slipped on a banana skin and sued the Dominican Republic!'"
     Linda Smith on the News Quiz talking about the Compensation Culture
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org