Please guide me in alsa installation? Success.

Seng Huat Yeoh stanleyshyeoh at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 9 13:23:52 PDT 2002

Hi,

Finally, it works.   Here are some of the steps I went through after my
failed installation from BLFS book's.

Having been reminded of devfs,  I went into the kernel and deselected:
File System -> /dev/pts file system for Unix98 PTYs
I have no idea what is does nor if it did caused any trouble but it was
initially compiled into the kernel.

As Mark suggested,  I omitted --with-moddir from BLFS book's Alsa
'Installation of the driver' hence:

   ./configure \
   --with-kernel=/usr/src/linux-2.4.19 \
   --with-sequencer=yes --with-oss=yes \
   --with-cards=via8233 &&
   make &&
   make install

Next, I made a change to the second command and added a third command to the
/dev/sndstat section:
   rm /dev/sndstat
   ln -s /proc/asound/oss/sndstat /dev/sndstat
   chmod a+rw /dev/sndstat

Now this is what really made it worked I suppose.   In /etc/modules.conf
file,  I used:

   alias snd-card-0 snd-via8233

instead of the book's:

   alias snd-card-0 snd-card-via8233

Restarted XMMS,  played a song and no warning messages.   No sound at this
point either until 'alsamixer' was run and unmuting some outputs.

Thanks Mark.   Yea!  Funky alright.   ALSA *shrug* ...

Sincerely,
Stanley Yeoh

Regards,
Stanley Yeoh