Error that keeps creeping up

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sat Aug 10 04:10:55 PDT 2002

Rene wrote:

> Hi, I seem to get an error quite often when building stuff. An example
> is added below when building gtkmm.
> I've absolutely no clue what it means. Is this GCC3.1 related?
> Hope someone can help me

It's sort of GCC3 related - gtkmm is using some bad C++ code that GCC2
accepted, but the stricter GCC3 doesn't. Try the attached patch... it's
for gtkmm-1.2.9, not 1.2.8 that you're using, but you should be able to
port it easily enough (or just upgrade).

Basically, the problem is that according to the C++ standard, default
parameters should only be specified once, in the function declaration.
The offending code here is specifying it both in the declaration, and in
the actual function definition (or so I recall - it's been a while since
I actually created that patch).

For the record, I believe it's been fixed in the CVS version.

Simon.