What tool to use?

Mark A. Nicolosi markan at penguinmail.com
Sat Aug 10 13:32:05 PDT 2002

What tool do I use to output the name of a file, but instead of
printing underscores it prints them as spaces and also leaves out
everything after and including the last period in file's name? I was
thinking something like sed, awk, perl. I know perl could probaly do
it. But I'm unfamiliar with all three. And think perl is overkill for
what I want to do.

In case your wondering. I need to know so I can use Fvwm's PipeRead
command to create a menu of background images.

Thanks In Advance,
Mark A. Nicolosi
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org