LILO

Jesper Brodersen broeman at k64.dk
Sat Aug 10 10:17:16 PDT 2002

Paul W. Adams writes:

> I 'll repeat what I think you said you did,
> so as to be sure I have it straight, let me know if I got it right,
> and I will issue a word of caution, because if I have misunderstood,
> I could 'disable' your system, unless you have an MBR backup
> with bootable floppy diskette with mbr repair program.
>
> You originally booted from HDA with Mandrake, installed
> LFS on HDB, configured and installed lilo on HDB, disconnected
> HDA, moved HDB to HDA position in SCSI or EIDE chain, and rebooted,
> which resulted in, after POST (power-on-self-test) successful, a series of
> 0s & 1s
> displaying on the monitor, which I think from memory
> ( which is getting quite old & failing!) stops after about a series of about
> 1/2 line?
> Please let me know if I got it right.
>         Anyhow, what you have got is some sort of corruption of the MBR on
> HDB,
> probably brought about by the fact the install of LILO onto HDB was done
> from
> a session of HDA as master/MBR control device. What I would do, is boot
> the system from  a floppy with HDB in the 'master' positon, and install LILO
> from the floppy, shouldn't have to worry about lilo.conf, but recopy
> shouldn't hurt.
>
> zrexx12r

Hey Paul,
sorry if I am a bit cryptic, I didn't get much sleep
this week :)

You a quite right,
the only thing is that I am keeping the harddisk on HDB
(slave-position) without any harddisk in the
master-position (no HDA).

I am right now booting into the system through GRUB on
a disk (with my kernel on disk).

Could it be, that a system cannot boot from /dev/hdb on
a slave-position?

Jesper Brodersen
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org