LILO

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sat Aug 10 11:43:48 PDT 2002

I just thought of something... see below.

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Jesper Brodersen  wrote:
>
> > Paul W. Adams writes:
> >
> > > I 'll repeat what I think you said you did,
> > > so as to be sure I have it straight, let me know if I got it right,
> > > and I will issue a word of caution, because if I have misunderstood,
> > > I could 'disable' your system, unless you have an MBR backup
> > > with bootable floppy diskette with mbr repair program.
> > >
> > > You originally booted from HDA with Mandrake, installed
> > > LFS on HDB, configured and installed lilo on HDB, disconnected
> > > HDA, moved HDB to HDA position in SCSI or EIDE chain, and rebooted,
> > > which resulted in, after POST (power-on-self-test) successful, a series of
> > > 0s & 1s
> > > displaying on the monitor, which I think from memory
> > > ( which is getting quite old & failing!) stops after about a series of about
> > > 1/2 line?
> > > Please let me know if I got it right.
> > >         Anyhow, what you have got is some sort of corruption of the MBR on
> > > HDB,
> > > probably brought about by the fact the install of LILO onto HDB was done
> > > from
> > > a session of HDA as master/MBR control device. What I would do, is boot
> > > the system from  a floppy with HDB in the 'master' positon, and install LILO
> > > from the floppy, shouldn't have to worry about lilo.conf, but recopy
> > > shouldn't hurt.
> > >
> > > zrexx12r

We can't be sure what drive ID you bios passes. LILO depends on BIOS
calls. So, with your master removed and no BIOS setup change, will
it pass 0x80 or 0x81. If it passes 0x80, you will need to add a parameter
to lilo.conf like

    bios=0x80

Other LILO puts calls to access 0x81 when you say boot=/dev/hdb. So
that could cause failure also.

Now, if you leave your other disk in and change BIOS to boot IDE-1,
then BIOS may still "masquerade" and make IDE-1 look like 0x80. That's
what my BIOS's do. So when I'm doing boot from IDE-2 (third drive), I
have

    bios=0x80

for that image in lilo.conf.

Bill Maltby