What tool to use?

Rob 'Feztaa' Park feztaa at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 10 18:49:05 PDT 2002

Alas! Björn Lindberg spake thus:
> > Thanks Rob, this works great.

No problem.

> Correct. You can write both dc and sokoban in sed (it has been done),
> together with awk and shell scripting there simply is no need to ever
> touch perl. :-)

Well, aside from the fact that perl is a million times faster than bash,
sure.

> > out I needed sed, but I couldn't find in documentation on sed or regular
> > expressions on my system (the man pages and info weren't enough). I've
> > got
> > to search on google for a tutorial about regular expressions!

I didn't read the links, but if they're no good, definitely try google.
regular expressions are a total godsend whenever they're used. Consider
this:

You have the string 'The cat sat on the mat'. You want to change 'cat'
to 'dog'. You could do it without regular expressions (in perl):

$string = 'The cat sat on the mat';
$start = index($string, 'cat', 0);
$end = index($string, ' ', $start)-$start;
substr($string, $start, $end) = 'dog';

Or with regular expressions:

$string = 'The cat sat on the mat';
$string =~ s/cat/dog/;

Of course, they're way more complicated and useful than that, but it's a
start ;)

--
Rob 'Feztaa' Park
http://members.shaw.ca/feztaa/