LILO

Paul W. Adams zrexx12r at optusnet.com.au
Sat Aug 10 18:42:38 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Maltby LFS Related" <lfsbill at wlmcs.com>
To: <blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2002 3:35 AM
Subject: Re: LILO

> On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Jesper Brodersen  wrote:
>
> > Paul W. Adams writes:
> >
> > > I 'll repeat what I think you said you did,
> > > so as to be sure I have it straight, let me know if I got it right,
> > > and I will issue a word of caution, because if I have misunderstood,
> > > I could 'disable' your system, unless you have an MBR backup
> > > with bootable floppy diskette with mbr repair program.
> > >
> > > You originally booted from HDA with Mandrake, installed
> > > LFS on HDB, configured and installed lilo on HDB, disconnected
> > > HDA, moved HDB to HDA position in SCSI or EIDE chain, and rebooted,
> > > which resulted in, after POST (power-on-self-test) successful, a
series of
> > > 0s & 1s
> > > displaying on the monitor, which I think from memory
> > > ( which is getting quite old & failing!) stops after about a series of
about
> > > 1/2 line?
> > > Please let me know if I got it right.
> > >         Anyhow, what you have got is some sort of corruption of the
MBR on
> > > HDB,
> > > probably brought about by the fact the install of LILO onto HDB was
done
> > > from
> > > a session of HDA as master/MBR control device. What I would do, is
boot
> > > the system from  a floppy with HDB in the 'master' positon, and
install LILO
> > > from the floppy, shouldn't have to worry about lilo.conf, but recopy
> > > shouldn't hurt.
> > >
> > > zrexx12r

No you (Jasper) you weren't cryptic, it is just that there are many
'variables' in this
area, and it is important to 'get it straight', before giving advise. I like
what I am hearing
from Bill, given that the drive is 'known' to the BIOS as hdb, due to the
settings and cabling,
then the bootstrap program is, in all liklihood (BIOSs win the award for the
least documented
software in the 7 known universes, hmmm, I wonder if we will ever get them
to Open Source),
telling the mbr that is where the op/sys is, hence the change to the
.conf....
keep us informed, and I'll help, if I can.

zrexx12r

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org