Please guide me in alsa installation? Success.

Mark Ellis mark.uzumati at virgin.net
Mon Aug 12 03:46:24 PDT 2002

On 2002.08.09 21:23 Seng Huat Yeoh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Finally, it works.   Here are some of the steps I went through after
> my failed installation from BLFS book's.
>
> Having been reminded of devfs,  I went into the kernel and deselected:
> File System -> /dev/pts file system for Unix98 PTYs
> I have no idea what is does nor if it did caused any trouble but it
> was initially compiled into the kernel.

You probably want devpts if you dont have devfs. It dynamically creates
pseudo-terminal devices, which allows programs to communicate as if via
a terminal, or at least thats how i understand it. Leave it for now, but
if you later have problems then keep it in mind.

> As Mark suggested,  I omitted --with-moddir from BLFS book's Alsa
> 'Installation of the driver' hence:
>
>   ./configure \
>   --with-kernel=/usr/src/linux-2.4.19 \
>   --with-sequencer=yes --with-oss=yes \
>   --with-cards=via8233 &&
>   make &&
>   make install
>
> Next, I made a change to the second command and added a third command
> to the /dev/sndstat section:
>   rm /dev/sndstat
>   ln -s /proc/asound/oss/sndstat /dev/sndstat
>   chmod a+rw /dev/sndstat
>

> Now this is what really made it worked I suppose.   In
> /etc/modules.conf file,  I used:
>
>   alias snd-card-0 snd-via8233
>
> instead of the book's:
>
>   alias snd-card-0 snd-card-via8233

That'll be the one. The book's version uses the old style module name
from the 0.5 alsa series.

> Restarted XMMS,  played a song and no warning messages.   No sound at
> this point either until 'alsamixer' was run and unmuting some outputs.
>

> Thanks Mark.   Yea!  Funky alright.   ALSA *shrug* ...

I guess it'll get simpler when alsa is properly released, or at least i
hope it will !

Mark
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org