minimum /dev entries for a 2.4.x kernel?

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Mon Aug 12 09:25:42 PDT 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:11:15 -0400 Douglas J Hunley
<doug at hunley.homeip.net> wrote:

> Does anyone have an idea of the *minimum* entries that must be in /dev
> for a 2.4.x kernel to function properly?

I think /dev/console and or /dev/tty1 is enough to prevent the "can't open
initial console" error. Maybe /dev/tty is needed, too. Other devices
should not be required. I guess if you don't compile in virtual terminal
support you can do with no devices at all. Of course userspace tools and
some modules require other devices. For instance you can't mount anything
without the necessary device node.

MSB

--
goto doesn't screw up programs.