XFree86 problems

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Mon Aug 12 12:46:32 PDT 2002

Edgar Alwers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to this list, so I apologize, if I am dealing with a very
> old issue or I don't know where to look in archives etc.
>
> I installed succesfully linux from the scratch version 3.3. Then, I
> started building and installing XFree86 according to the hint from
> Sergey Ostrovsky. The make World process went OK, not so the make
> install one. I got the following install protocol:
>

>  -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO      -c -o Clock.o Clock.c
> In file included from Clock.c:50:
> ClockP.h:92: field `otm' has incomplete type
> make[3]: *** [Clock.o] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/src/lfs-packages-3.3/xc/programs/xclock' make[2]: ***
> [install] Error 2 make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/src/lfs-packages-3.3/xc/programs' make[1]: *** [install] Error
> 2 make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/lfs-packages-3.3/xc'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
> unquote.
>
> Can someone help me with this ? How can "make World" be successfull
> and then the install process run into an "incomplete" type of
> Clock.c50 ? I have no idea how and where to continue. Any hints ?
> Thanks in advance,
> Edgar

You are using an old version of X.  To fix it you need to edit
programs/xclock/ClockP.h and add the line
#include <time.h>

Put this line at the beginning, and clear of any #ifdef statement.
You can then do make install again from directory xc

The headers have been changed over the years, and X links the final
programs during make install, instead of make World.

If you get the chance, get the new version of X (4.2), but it
is a huge download

Chris

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org