XFree86 resolution

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Mon Aug 12 15:39:44 PDT 2002

Oliver Martin wrote:

>> try /etc/XF86Config
>

> That didn't work. After closing X, I see the message that it used the
> right config file. In the logfile I just saw a whole bunch (about 80)
> of messages of the format
>
> (II) NV(0): Not using default mode "NNNxNNN" (hsync out of range)
>
> where NNNxNNN stands for a specific resolution. I didn't even know my
> card (Creative GF4 MX440) supports so many different resolutions ;-)
> And few lines above that, I saw
> (II) Setting vga for screen 0.
> can that be related to my problem?

You are right about the location of XF86Config.  It needs to be in /etc/X11.

The default Horizontal and Vertical refresh rates are quite limited.
 You need to determine those from your monitor manual or from a web site
and use those.

My monitor section looks like:

# **********************************************************************
# Monitor section
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of monitor sections may be present

Section "Monitor"

    Identifier  "G810"

# HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
# HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

    HorizSync   30-92

#    HorizSync  30-64         # multisync
#    HorizSync  31.5, 35.2    # multiple fixed sync frequencies
#    HorizSync  15-25, 30-50  # multiple ranges of sync frequencies

# VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
# VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

    VertRefresh 50-180

EndSection

  -- Bruce