XFree86 resolution

Oliver Martin oliver.martin at i-one.at
Tue Aug 13 03:02:21 PDT 2002

Jeroen Coumans schrieb:
> On Monday 12 August 2002 19:54, Oliver Martin wrote:
>
>>Section "Monitor"
>>	Identifier   "Monitor0"
>>	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>>	ModelName    "Monitor Model"
>>EndSection
>

> Specify the hsync and vsync values for your monitor under this section.
> Something like:
>         VertRefresh     40-60
>         HorizSync       30-120
>
> Look up the correct values because they can damage your monitor if it's
> an old one.

I can't, because I don't have any manual and didn't find infos on the
web for my Siemens Xpert 710. But I don't think incorrect values would
damage it, when I set the refresh rate too high in Windows, I only get
an error message.

> Alternatively, you can specify
> 	Option         "DPMS"
> under this section:
>

>>Section "Device"
[...]

Did you really mean I should put that line into the device section? When
I ran "XFree86 -configure" the first time, it auto-detected my monitor
correctly, and inserted that line in the monitor section. It also
detected the vendor name ("SIE") and the model name ("Xpert 710"). Those
settings worked fine until I created the .xinitrc file, after that, X
only came up un plain VGA mode. Even deleting X and all config files and
  compiling it from a freshly untarred source tree didn't help anything.
xfree86 -config doesn't autodetect my monitor now, and doesn't insert
the option dpms line. Inserting it manually didn't work too. What can
that be?

--
Oliver

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org