How to enable japanese font support?

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Thu Aug 15 02:19:26 PDT 2002

Hello

> I wonder, is it simply downloading japanese TTF packs (any available?) and
> putting it into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/ ?

It's almost that simple.  The only tricky part is to make sure they get
listed in fonts.dir and fonts.scale WITH THE RIGHT ENCODING.  The usual
ttmkfdir/mkfontdir routine just adds them in using ASCII or some such.
Go in by hand after and add duplicate font lines with whatever encoding
you want (JIS, ISO10646 or whatever).

It SHOULD work after that.  Input is a whole other matter, however.

Fonts are available from lots of places (can't remember many names
immediately, though).  Look for intlfonts from GNU, copy the Windoze
fonts if you have Win98, search the web.  Some fonts are much better
quality than others.  You'll probably want decent Chinese fonts, too, so
let me save you time and tell you what to use: download the Arphic BIG5
and GB2312 fonts (search "arphic" and you'll find their site quickly).

--
Steve Bougerolle
Creek & Cowley Consulting

http://www.creek-and-cowley.com