How to enable japanese font support?

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Thu Aug 15 12:12:33 PDT 2002

On 15 Aug 2002 17:19:26 +0800 Steve Bougerolle
<steveb at creek-and-cowley.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> > I wonder, is it simply downloading japanese TTF packs (any available?)
> > and putting it into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/ ?
>
> It's almost that simple.  The only tricky part is to make sure they get
> listed in fonts.dir and fonts.scale WITH THE RIGHT ENCODING.  The usual
> ttmkfdir/mkfontdir routine just adds them in using ASCII or some such.

Really? I don't remember doing any manual fixing after installing ms
mincho and ms gothic. But maybe I did and forgot.

Anyway, what he should also not forget is to load either the freetype or
the xtt module in XF86Config. At least for XFree  4.1 the freetype module
sucks big time regarding japanese font rendering (it doesn't use the
embedded bitmaps) and xtt gives much better results (but xtt is almost
unusable with Wine). I don't know if that's changed with 4.2.

MSB

--
Why is TV called a medium?
Because it's neither rare nor well done.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org