How to enable japanese font support?

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Fri Aug 16 18:43:02 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 14:18, Seng Huat Yeoh wrote:

> I've downloaded ms-mincho and ms-gothic into my TTF directory.
>
> There are two files in TTF,  font.dir and font.scale,  the latter being
> read-only.     Which file should I edit?

Use ttmkfdir to generate fonts.scale, edit that if necessary, then use
mkfontdir to make fonts.dir.  You might have to edit that also.  The two
files are clones of each other so you can just fix one up and then copy
it.  Make sure you have encodings set up also (should be done by
default).

> Can you give me an example of a line I should add to enable say ms-mincho?

I just realized I don't have the MS Asian fonts installed any more.
However, for those I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything special.
Anyway, here's what I added for one of the Arphic fonts:

bkai00mp.ttf -Arphic Technology Co.-AR PL KaitiM Big5-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-ascii-0
bkai00mp.ttf -Arphic Technology Co.-AR PL KaitiM Big5-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
bkai00mp.ttf -Arphic Technology Co.-AR PL KaitiM Big5-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-15
bkai00mp.ttf -Arphic Technology Co.-AR PL KaitiM Big5-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-big5-0
bkai00mp.ttf -Arphic Technology Co.-AR PL KaitiM Big5-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-big5.eten-0

The ascii line is the only one that ttmkfdir generated by itself.  The
iso lines are necessary to solve some problem or other, and the big5
lines are the interesting ones (that's where you would replace the
coding with JIS or whatever might be necessary for Japanese fonts).

> And what modifications are required in Mozilla to detect japanese encodings
> and view them appropriately?

For Mozilla the only trick you might want to try is to look into the
configuration section where it says which language version of a web page
to use first, and tell it to detect all the languages you might want to
look at.  Probably it'll work even without that, though.  Mozilla does
this a lot better than some other apps.

--
Steve Bougerolle
Creek & Cowley Consulting