ALSA drives-me crazy

Richard Lightman richard at nezumi.plus.com
Sun Aug 18 22:23:49 PDT 2002

* Horacio Ferrero <horace.linux at noos.fr> [2002-08-19 05:58]:
> I'd made a successfully compile of alsa-divers alsa-lib and alsa-utils
> at rev rc3.
> by issuing the command : alsactl -f /etc/asound.conf restore (or save or
> ...) I get the following message:

Check the output from lsmod to make sure these modules are loaded.

snd-card-ens1371
snd-ens1371
snd-pcm
snd-timer
snd-ac97-codec
snd-rawmidi
snd-seq-device
snd-mixer
snd
soundcore

If they are not loaded, modprobe them. To do this automatically,
you must change /etc/modules, then run "depmod -a". I have the
same sound card, so theys settings may be correct. They work
with devfs/devfsd (because of the entries with /dev...). They
may still work without devfsd (because of the entries with
char-major-...). I have not tested this properly without devfs.

post-install snd-ens1371 /usr/sbin/alsactl -f /var/lib/misc/alsa restore
pre-remove   snd-ens1371 /usr/sbin/alsactl -f /var/lib/misc/alsa store
alias char-major-116 snd
options  snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-ens1371
alias /dev/snd* snd-card-0
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0       snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/sound snd-card-0
alias /dev/sound/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/sound/sequencer* snd-seq-oss
alias /dev/sound/dsp* snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/sound/audio* snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/sound/adsp* snd-pcm-oss

> The funny thing is that I'd disturbed by a sound of my TV-card output in
> the speakers during I read this message in the terminal window.. if I
> have not "sound card" how can I hear the sound coming from my TV-card ?

You should not really be surprised that the hardware is misbehaving
when the software to set it up is not in place.

Richard

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org