libtool hangs when linking

Ray, TD Travis (8878) RAYTD at ISL-3Com.com
Mon Aug 19 11:53:02 PDT 2002

Hi,

	Has anyone experienced any problems with libtool that appear to make
it hang up while linking?  I've spent the past weekend attempting to compile
gnome-2.0 only to get stuck about half-way through.

	During compilation I witnessed libtool warnings about "library
<lib>.la seems to have moved", but it didn't seem to be anything
catastrophic, and not every package seemed to suffer from this behavior.  I
made sure /opt/gnome-2.0/lib was in ld.so.conf,  I ran ldconfig about 50
times, but nothing seemed to help.

	I did find somewhat of a work-around for a few of the packages in
which I removed the /bin/sh libtool mode=link..., replaced instances of
<path-to-lib>/<lib>.la with <path-to-lib>/<lib>.so each time it appeared to
hang.  I then proceeded normally with gcc.  That seemed to work except when
the link target was a <lib>.la file.  That's where I'm at now.

	Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

	Oh, I'm using lfs-3.3 (libtool-1.4.2).

Thanks!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org