Halting the computer

Rob 'Feztaa' Park feztaa at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 19 13:49:06 PDT 2002

Alas! Antony Stone spake thus:
> On Monday 19 August 2002 6:38 pm, Chutney Man wrote:
>
> > Dumb suggestion, but you could always just halt your system with the
> > "poweroff" command... I know "halt" doesn't shut the power off on my
> > system but "poweroff" works ok
>
> Very strange.   On my system poweroff is simply a symbolic link to halt.

Not weird at all; it's trivially easy to write a program that behaves
differently depending on what name it was called with (so a symlink to a
binary behaves differently than the binary itself).

Compare /usr/bin/{ex,rview,rvim,vi,view,vim,vimdiff}.

--
Rob 'Feztaa' Park
http://members.shaw.ca/feztaa/
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org