Halting the computer

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Mon Aug 19 14:32:24 PDT 2002

On Monday 19 August 2002 9:49 pm, Rob 'Feztaa' Park wrote:

> Alas! Antony Stone spake thus:
> > On Monday 19 August 2002 6:38 pm, Chutney Man wrote:
> > > Dumb suggestion, but you could always just halt your system with the
> > > "poweroff" command... I know "halt" doesn't shut the power off on my
> > > system but "poweroff" works ok
> >
> > Very strange.   On my system poweroff is simply a symbolic link to halt.
>
> Not weird at all; it's trivially easy to write a program that behaves
> differently depending on what name it was called with (so a symlink to a
> binary behaves differently than the binary itself).

Oh, I realise that, I was just surprised that since on my system poweroff is
a symbolic link to halt, and both of them shut off the power supply on my
machine, Chutney Man's didn't do the same - ie halt doesn't turn his machine
off but poweroff does.

Anyway, it turns out that now the original poster has disabled SMP support he
can power off his system too.

Antony.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org