Halting the computer

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Mon Aug 19 15:18:16 PDT 2002

On Monday 19 August 2002 11:01 pm, Doghater wrote:

> Is it possible to get linux to 'hibernate' - like windows laptops?

Yes, both my laptops can do it - an HP, and an Advent (aka Gericom).

I believe they handle it in hardware (ie Bios) because the key combination is
labelled on the keyboard and can't be changed, there's no options to enable
or disable it in the kernel, and there's no signal I can find (eg in inittab)
to tell the machine that's what you want it to do.

I believe many desktops can configure the power button to go into sleep mode
if you press it briefly, or power off if you hold it for >4 seconds.   Have a
look in your Bios settings to see what's there.

Antony.

--

You can spend the whole of your life trying to be popular,
but at the end of the day the size of the crowd at your funeral

 - Frank Skinner
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org